FDR was roasted and compared to Hitler for moving Thanksgiving to stretch out a truncated holiday shopping season that was even shorter than the one we’re facing in 2019
|11/28/2019||Posted by BusinessMediaguide.Com under General World News||
- Thanksgiving falls on November 28 this year, which means that the holiday shopping season will be shorter than usual.
- Back in 1939, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt faced a similarly compressed holiday season.
- To assuage the fears of retail lobbyists, FDR moved Thanksgiving forward a week that year.
- The change divided the country, with 16 states refusing to move up the date of the holiday.
- Thanksgiving remained an issue as hot as a bowl of scalding mashed potatoes until the president admitted defeat in 1941.
- That same year, Congress resolved to declare that Thanksgiving would be celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November.
- Sign read more >>>