- The history of higher education in America is older than the Declaration of Independence.
- The oldest known college in the US that still exists today is Harvard University, which was founded in 1636.
- Since Harvard’s founding, thousands of other higher learning institutes have been established across the nation.
- Here’s a look back at Harvard’s history and the histories of the other oldest colleges in America.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The history of higher education in America is older than the nation’s founding.