- The high upfront cost of a security deposit can dissuade some renters from moving into a new location.
- Some companies have started to offer insurance products that replace the large, but refundable security deposit with a much smaller, but non-refundable fee.
- Cincinnati recently passed a “Renter’s Choice” law, which required landlords of a certain size to provide alternatives to security deposits. State legislatures and the City of New York are considering similar laws.
- We listed five of the biggest companies who have a lot to gain from these new laws.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.