- Pigeons are a staple of American cities, yet these birds are actually native to North Africa, the Middle East, and Europe.
- Europeans brought pigeons to North America in the 1600s, likely as a source of food, and the birds then escaped.
- Pigeons can live on human leftovers. Plus, we feed them. Building ledges also mimic the seaside cliffs in their native range, making these birds feel right home.
- Pigeons are also incredible navigators — some birds can find their way home from nearly 1,000 km away — which makes finding food resources in a city much easier.
- <a target="_blank" read more >>>