General World News

Iranian Film Director Panahi Released After Hunger Strike

Acclaimed Iranian filmmaker Jafar Panahi has been released on bail after starting a hunger strike protesting his almost seven-month detention, supporters said Friday. 

The director had been arrested months before the current anti-regime protests erupted, but his imprisonment became a symbol of the plight of artists speaking out against the authorities. 

Panahi was released from Tehran’s Evin prison “two days after starting his hunger strike for freedom,” the U.S.-based Center for Human Rights in Iran said on Twitter, while Iran’s reformist Shargh newspaper posted an image of Panahi jubilantly embracing a supporter. 

His wife, Tahereh Saeedi, posted a picture on Instagram of Panahi details ⇒

BusinessMediaguide.Com portal received this content from this noted web source: VOANews.Com